Turnovers Cost Pirates At Highland 

Turnovers Cost Pirates At Highland 

Turnovers Cost Pirates At Highland 

November 3, 2018 

HIGHLAND, Kan. - Saturday was an early rise kickoff for the Independence Pirates as they were on the road facing the Highland Scotties. The Pirates kept it close for most of the game, but the late comeback effort fell short, 24-21. 

In the first quarter, the Pirates kicked off and the Scotties began the game at the 29-yard line. Tyler Wiltz tackled running back Kevin Brown after a gain of one. Highland quarterback Avery McCall was unable to find any running room on third down forcing a punt and Independence began at their own 33-yard line. 

The Pirates came out passing after a 2-yard gain, but incompletions forced a punt from Adam Barry and after a penalty the Scotties took over at the 15-yard line. Brown picked up a first down for Highland on a 12-yard gain but a sack from Chance Main forced another punting situation and the Pirates began in great position at the Highland 36-yard line. 

five-yard rush by Tyrone Taylor began the drive and a six- yard run by quarterback Jay Jones picked up a first down. Back to back runs from Taylor took Independence to the 15-yard line and Jones got them down to the five and on third down a three-yard run got Jones to the end zone. The extra point from Ryan Redman sailed through and the Pirates led 7-0 at the 7:26 mark of the opening period. 

Runs by Brown and Justin Ruiz had the Scotties moving down the field, but the defense held up to force a punt.  

A pass from Jones to Dontrell Johnson and a run by Shermari Jones picked up a first down for Independence, but a sack by Jamal Wynter knocked the Pirates way back down field. Jones picked up a first down converting after two huge runs but a defensive stand on third down would end the quarter with a 7-0 lead for the Pirates. 

The second quarter began with a rush attack, but the Scotties stopped the drive to take over on downs. Highland picked up a first down after a third down penalty and another as Brown moved the sticks. 

The Scotties continued to move the ball as McCall and Brown picked up positive yardage, but the defense once again held up forcing a field goal that was good from 41 yards by Ryan Schemtob and with 11:22 left in the first half Independence now led 7-3. 

The Pirates picked up a first down with a quarterback draw from Jay Jones, but the inability to convert again saw Barry return for another punt to the 45-yard line. 

Highland came out passing but failed to convert after huge tackles by Dishon McNary forced a punt. The Scotties had new life at the one-yard line after a muffed punt and scored after a leap into the end zone by Brown, and with the extra point Highland took the lead with 6:55 left in the first half. 

Independence picked up positive yardage on runs by Jay Jones, but a fourth down stop gave the Scotties another possession. 

A sack by Troy Murray had the defense fired up but after a nine-yard completion to Bernard Porter a false start forced Highland to punt the ball away. 

The Pirates began the drive going deep down field and Jones completed a 45-yard pass to Marqwell Odom at the Highland 31-yard line, but he was intercepted in the end zone two plays later by Amarrian Brown. Neither team was able to score in the final seconds of the second quarter and at the half Highland led 10-7. 

In the third quarter, the Pirates were unable to get anything going, but a great punt from Barry pushed the Scotties back to the 16-yard line. 

McCall escaped a sack with a first down pass to Greg Payton and then completed another first down pass to Emmanuel Stores to get across midfield, but the independence defense stayed strong and forced the Highland offense off the field. 

Jay Jones ran for a first down, but two plays later walked off the field with cramping and Independence was unable to get anything going and punted the ball away where it was returned to the 30-yard line. 

The Scotties converted a third down with a completion to Ruiz and got across midfield as McCall ran for another first down and a completion to Payton on fourth down kept the drive alive. 

Highland went on to score a few plays later with a 27-yard pass to Javon Henderson and with 1:06 left in the period the score was now 17-7 with the Scotties in the lead. 

Shermari Jones picked up a first down running to the 30-yard line and the clock ran out in the period with Highland up 17-7. 

The fourth quarter began with a defensive stand forcing the Pirates to punt and the Scotties picked up a first down after a run by Brown to the 38-yard line. 

Corbein Hagans and Murray combined to sack McCall, but a completion to Porter on fourth down kept the drive going for Highland and the Scotties found the end zone with a nine-yard completion to Nariccus Driver and added the extra point with 9:13 left in the game to go up 24-7. 

Shermari Jones found some room with a huge run to the 44-yard line and a completion from Chase Hildreth to Odom gained positive yardage before Jones would again break away for a first down. Hildreth completed a huge pass to Ruben Flowers at the one-yard line and after a penalty Jones marched in to score. Redman's extra point was good and with 6:37 left to play the lead was cut down to ten with Highland now leading 24-14.  

An onside kick from Barry was recovered by Taylor and the Pirates had another possession, but an interception by Daryan Ingram gave the ball back to the Scotties, who got down to the eight-yard line and turned the ball over on downs. 

A completion to Roy Livingstone moved the chains and a 54-yard completion to Livingstone found the end zone. The extra point sailed through and with 6 seconds left, the Scotties lead was now 24-21. The onside kick was recovered by Highland and the Pirates dropped the contest. 

Independence returns home next weekend to close out the season against the Ellsworth Panther at 7pm. Come out and support Sophomore night and Veteran's night.